10 Best Keto Protein Bars, According To Experts
Eat this, not that! is supported by readers and every product we offer is independently vetted by our publishers. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
It can be difficult to just “cut back” on carbohydrates, so when your new diet requires eliminating them from your diet almost entirely, those first few days and weeks can be tough. This is especially true if you’re trying the keto diet: a low-carb, moderate-protein, high-fat diet in which 70 percent of your total daily calories come from healthy fat and protein. Fortunately, there are plenty of store-bought keto snacks you can buy to help you stick to your macros, and keto protein bars are among your best options.
What are keto protein bars?
Keto Protein Bars are exactly what they sound like: protein bars designed to meet keto diet standards.
âKeto Protein Bars can be any protein bar that is low enough in carbohydrates, has a moderate protein content and a higher fat content,â says Brad Dieter, PhD, COO of Macros Inc. and co-author of the NASM-CNC.
According to Dieter, keto protein bars are often made with:
- nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts)
- seeds (sunflower seeds)
- oils (palm, coconut)
- functional fibers
- sugar substitutes (sugar alcohols, monk fruit, stevia, artificial sweeteners)
What are keto protein bars used for?
Contrary to what you might assume, you don’t have to be a gym enthusiast (or an athlete in any capacity, really) to benefit from keto protein bars. Keto protein bars may offer an energy boost and aid in post-workout recovery, but they also offer a range of other benefits, says Kajsa Ernestam, dietitian of the digital health app Lifesum.
âNo matter what diet you are on, there are many benefits to eating regularly and including 1 to 3 snacks between your main meals. That being said, when you are on a keto diet, it can be difficult to find snacks that don’t. don’t. have too many net carbs, âsays Ernestam Eat this, not that! Ergo, keto protein bars can help fill in the gaps.
Keto protein bars can also help your body stay in a state of ketosis, where the body burns fat for energy rather than glucose from carbohydrates, says Rachel West, dietician at eMeals.
âProtein bars can be helpful when eating on the go while trying to stay in ketosis because they contain the mix of macronutrients that keto dieters need. Most contain around 175 to 250 calories, which can be fine. take out. breakfast for some or work as a snack when hunger strikes, âWest explains.
How Do I Pick the Best Keto Protein Bars?
When shopping for keto protein bars, there are a few things you need to watch out for.
- Check the label for keto-related claims. like any other dietary supplement, experts stress that it is essential to read nutritional labels. For example, most protein bars made specifically for keto dieters will have “keto” or “keto compatible” on the packaging.
- Do the macro calculation. Even if a bar claims it’s keto, you still need to do the macronutrient math for yourself to verify that the percentages match your individual ratios.
- Check out what foods are in keto protein bars. It is also important to note which food sources are responsible for these percentages. Bars that rely on whole food ingredients rather than processed and artificial additives should be your choice. The majority of fat should come from plant sources and bars should not contain more than 20% of your daily value of sodium per serving, advises Erin Palinski-Wade, RD, CDE and author of 2 day diabetes diet.
- Watch out for irritating ingredients. Because keto protein bars need to be low in carbs and sugars, many brands will replace added sugar with sugar substitutes. The most common alternatives are sugar alcohols, which your body cannot digest, which means they have no calories. Keto dieters with sensitive stomachs should be on the lookout for sugar alcohols like mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, isomalt, and maltitol as they can cause digestive irritation.
- Look for fibers. In addition to healthy fats and proteins, Ernestam suggests paying attention to the amount of fiber in keto protein bars. âAs the fiber takes longer to be digested by the body, you will feel fuller for longer. Plus your stomach will thank you, âsays Ernestam.
What are the best keto protein bars to buy?
Below, experts reveal the 10 best keto protein bars and what sets them apart from other options on the shelves.
1.Keto Bars Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond
3g net carbs, 6g protein, 20g fat
âContaining low amounts of net carbs, Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond Keto Bar is a keto-friendly option,â says Ernestam. “Compared to other keto protein bars, the protein content of this one is a bit lower – however, it still contains as much protein as a small egg.”
2. Julian Bakery Pegan Thin Chocolate Lava Protein Bar
1-2g net carbs, 20g protein, 9g fat
Looking to curb a major sweet tooth? Julian Bakery’s bar does the trick without any baked goods: âWith just 1 gram of net carbs, Pegan Protein Bar Chocolate Lava is a good option even if you’re on a very strict keto diet,â says Ernestam. “This bar has the highest protein content compared to others on my list, with 20g of protein per bar. (Protein is good for saturation and a lot of functions in the body, like our muscles.).” And while some of its ingredients may not sound very familiar, no worries. The majority comes from natural sources, because it is vegan, âsays Ernestam.
3. Atlas Keto Protein Bar
5g net carbs, 16g protein, 11g fat
Particular on the flavor? Atlas Keto Protein Bars are a great option for picky eaters because they come in so many flavors, says Ernestam. However, note that “this bar has 5 grams of net carbs per serving, which means it will contribute half of the daily net carbs limit for someone on a very strict keto diet (net carbs
4. Zenwise Health Keto-Crave Energy Bar
5g net carbs, 9g protein, 16g fat
Gluten free? Zenwise has what you need: âZenwise Health Keto-Crave Energy Bar is gluten-free, making it a great option for people who can’t (or don’t eat) gluten,â says Ernestam. “It also contains a good amount of protein which is good for weight management, muscle function and cardiovascular health.”
5. Epic Provisions Chicken with egg yolk and apple bar
3g net carbs, 13g protein, 7g fat
For those who prefer salty over sweet, Epic Provisions Chicken Egg Yellow and Apple Bar is one of the many salty keto protein bars on the market: âThis bar is deliciously salty, making it a better option for those with sweet cravings, âsays Ernestam. âCompared to other bars, this bar has a ‘cleaner’ ingredient list, as many ingredients are actually spices. [What’s more,] Primarily made from animal products, this bar contains no sweeteners, making it a more user-friendly option for those with sensitive gut. “
6. DNX Grass-Fed Beef and Undried Bacon Jalapeno Bar
1g net carbs, 14g protein, 9g fat
Speaking of savory options, Palinski-Wade is a huge fan of the DNX line of bars because âthis variety combines lean beef with unseasoned bacon and natural flavors for a high protein bar with just 1 gram of net carbs. “.
7. Dang bars
4-5g net carbs, 14g protein, 9g fat
Along with Asian-American snack brand Dang Foods that brings delicious Thai coconut and rice crisps to your pantry shelves, they’ve also added low-carb and keto-friendly bars to their diet. curriculum vitae.
âIf you’re looking for a plant-based keto option, Dang Bars are the perfect choice,â says Palinski-Wade. “Made from a blend of nuts and pea protein, these bars have a clean label, are a good source of fiber, and are one of the lowest sodium of any keto bar on the market.”
8. Quest Bar Birthday Cake
10g net carbs, 21g protein, 6g fat
Traditional birthday cake isn’t exactly keto-friendly, but if you’re committed to dieting during the celebrations, Quest has some tasty alternatives that let you have your (kind of) cake (or cookie or pie). ) and eat that too.
âIf you’re looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, Quest Bars can meet that need on a keto diet,â says Erin Palinski-Wade. âWith only 4 grams of net carbs, these bars are sweetened with erythritol sugar alcohol. Unlike other sugar alcohols which can cause gas and bloating, erythritol has minimal impact on the gastrointestinal system. -intestinal.”
9. Perfect Keto Bars
2-3g net carbs, 10-11g protein, 17-19g fat
âHaving an ingredient list filled with ingredients that you can identify is the best bet for finding the healthiest keto protein bar options,â West points out. âPerfect Keto Bars are a good option for this reason. They have a range of flavors and the ingredients are easy to recognize. [like organic almond butter, grass-fed collagen, organic vanilla extract, and cacao butter]. “
10. Bhu Keto Bars
2-3g net carbs, 8-11g protein, 1-2g sugar
âEach variety has slightly different ingredients and nutritional stats, but the high fat count makes Bhu Keto bars filly,â says Ernestam. “They could work for an afternoon snack, or if you just fancy something sweet.”