Fast to avoid non-vegetarians; Dos and Don’ts to follow during this season
Sawan is one of the most auspicious and important months in the Hindu calendar. Also known as Shravan, this particular month holds great religious and scientific significance, so people are recommended to follow this list of dos and don’ts.
New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: According to the Hindu calendar, the month of Sawan is of the utmost importance. It is considered to be one of the most crucial months of the year both religiously and scientifically. It is usually between July and August and is dedicated to Lord Shiva, this is a big reason why the devotees observe the fast and follow certain rules during this time.
Yes, people observe sixteen Mondays, commonly referred to as “Solah Somwar”, to impress Lord Shiva and find a suitable mate. Devotees take an early bath and visit the temple to offer prayers in the morning and after sunset. Lord Shiva is worshiped as a gesture of gratitude throughout the month of Shravan.
Therefore, here we are with a list of dos and don’ts that you must follow during the month of Sawan or Shravan. Looked
Sawan 2021: Back
- Fasting during this holy month is considered very auspicious and fruitful. Scientifically, it also has many advantages. Fast all month.
- Drink plenty of water, consume fruits, and other approved fasting items during this time.
- Regular visit to the temple of Shiva.
- Sing the Maha Mrutyunjay Mantra during the fast.
- Sing Om Namah Shivay while fasting.
- Offer Lord Shiva a mixture of milk, ghee, yogurt, gangajal, and honey, also known as Panchamrut, as well as Bilva leaves.
- Wear rudraksh. In Hindu culture, rudraksh is considered very auspicious.
- Read the Shravan Somwar Vrata Katha on Monday. This katha is a symbol of Lord Shiva’s journey from life to eternity.
Sawan 2021: Don’ts
- Do not consume alcohol in the month of Sawan.
- Do not shave during Shravan.
- Avoid breaking your fast in between.
- Do not eat non-vegetarian.
- Ginger and garlic are also avoided by people during this month.
- According to Puranas, brinjal or eggplant should also be avoided as they are not considered very good to have during this time.
Posted by: Sanyukta Baijal