Wellness + Nutrition | 5 best protein bars on the shelves
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) — Protein bars are convenient and portable, an easy option for a quick snack or even meal. There’s been an explosion of new varieties hitting the shelves, but not all of them are as nutritious as they seem.
Here’s a rundown of Molly’s top five picks — all are good sources of protein with zero or little added sugar and no artificial sweeteners or colors.
The 411 on PROTEIN BAR LABELS:
- Protein: 20 grams of protein equals 3 ounces of lean meat; 7 grams is approximately one protein egg
- Sugar: Look for bars that are as close to zero added sugar as possible and contain more protein than sugar.
- Artificial sweeteners: Avoid artificial sweeteners like sucralose and acesulfame potassium
- Fiber: Generally less important, as many are “isolated” fibers without all the benefits of true, whole-food fibers
CanDo Keto Krisp Bar |GF; Dairy-free options available
- 190 calories, 16 grams carbs (4 grams net carbs), 9 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 11 grams protein
- Made with almonds, chicory root fiber, soy protein, almond protein, sweetened with erythritol and/or stevia
Love Good Fats Bar | GF, soy free, no sugar alcohols
- 190 calories, 14 grams carbs (5 grams net carbs), 9 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (2 grams added sugar), 7 grams protein
- Made with a blend of fats (almond butter, palm and coconut oil), whole grain brown rice protein, semi-sweet chocolate chips, soluble corn fiber, chicory root fiber.
NuGo Slim Bar | GF; Vegan options available
- 180 calories, 17 grams carbs (9 grams net carbs), 6 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar (3 grams added sugar), 16 grams protein
- Made with a protein blend (soy and rice protein), dark chocolate, inulin (vegetable fiber), sweetened with a small amount of cane sugar
Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bar | GF, dairy free
- 190 calories, 12 grams carbs (4 grams net carbs), 8 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar (0 added sugar), 11 grams protein
- Made with cashew butter, hydrolyzed collagen, inulin, MCT oil powder, sweetened with stevia
- 200 calories, 25 grams carbs (4 grams net carbs), 15 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar (0 added sugar), 21 grams protein
- Made with a vegan protein blend (brown rice, pea protein), soluble corn fiber, sweetened with erythritol, stevia, monk fruit.
FUELED Wellness + Nutrition is powered by Smoothie King. Learn more about Eat Fit at Smoothie King; Click on here for the full list of Eat Fit options available from Smoothie King, proud sponsor of FUELED Wellness + Nutrition with Molly on WGNO.
Molly Kimball, RD, CSSD is a New Orleans registered dietitian and nutrition journalist and founder of the nonprofit Ochsner Eat Fit restaurant initiative. Tune into his podcast, FUEL | Wellness + Nutrition and follow her on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @MollyKimballRD. See more Molly articles + TV segments on www.mollykimball.comand sign up for the weekly Eat Fit Wellness Bites newsletter, here.
SStay up to date with the latest breaking news, weather and sports! Download the WGNO News app and subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Suggest a fix